So I am a high school art teacher, however, I think writing about art is just as important as creating it.
Final exams are this week and each student had to write a two page synopsis paper and include reasons and research as to why they picked a certain artist or photographer for their final project.
Here is a list of problems with this generation currently in high school…
1) Two pages is apparently too many. Wait till college kid. Seriously, even as an art teacher, I have to write a two page document about why your ass failed my class and what interventions I used to try to help you to pass. Writing is part of life.
2) High school students write like they are talking, I’m sorry, texting, because no one talks anymore… they write like the are texting their bff. There are lots of ‘cuz’… aka: because, ‘i’… aka I and ‘stuff’… aka: I am literally writing ‘stuff’ as bullshit because I am trying to take up more room on the paper.
3) Font. I said I wanted the paper in 12 point font. Do you think I don’t notice that you used size 14 or 16 font? Listen, the reason I know is because your paper is now so much more easier for me to read.
4) Margins. The margins of the paper are one inch. Did you think that I wouldn’t notice that your margins are like 3 inches in and you have centered the whole thing?
5) ‘Is it ok if I only write 1.5 pages?’ -Let me think about this… no. If i wanted 1.5 pages, I would have made that the requirement instead of two pages. Yes Johnny. You can write 1.5 pages and then you can write .5 more…
6) Telling me how much you love me at the end of the paper will not get you extra points. Do you know what it will get you? A smiley face.
7) Writing 1.5 pages and then adding a photograph to the leftover .5 pages so you make the two page requirement. <Gasp!> How will I ever figure out that there are no words on this .5 pages?!
8) Spelling and Grammar. There is literally nothing that drives me crazy more. The Word program ACTUALLY HAS A BUTTON FOR THIS. You press it and it checks everything for you. I mean, at this point with the cuz and i’s, your paper must light up like the 4th of July. Yup, God bless America.
9) Name. Your name is literally spelled wrong. It’s your name. A name you have had for 14, 15, 16, 17 or even 18 years! Wtf.
10) Plagiarism. I read your paper and then I typed part of your paper into Google and then, I found your whole paper. Now, the only way that this site on Frida Kahlo and your paper match is because you stole from this site. Word. For. Word. Unless, <gasp> they stole from you! Could it be? No.
Until next time,
Just give me the website