So since my car accident, (read: I Need to Climb), I have decided to make a top ten list of things I have missed about teaching. I mean, when you miss a month of school to rest up from a major concussion, you miss so many wonderful things.
1)Adulting. I miss being an adult with responsibilities.
2)Work Clothes: I miss being uncomfortable in pants that don’t fit and school appropriate shirts that hide my cleavage. Unfortunately, turtle necks don’t even hide my cleavage soooo… yeah.
3) 5:07 am: the first time my alarm goes off and then the game I play after that is called ‘Alarm Clock Roulette.’ Did I turn off the alarm or did I hit snooze? Only my body will shock me awake in a sheer panic.
4) 10:40 am: yes, to you it doesn’t mean anything. To me, it means eating lunch while the sun is still barely up. Yes, I would love to have my left over pulled pork from the night before on a bun. It’s OK that I won’t eat dinner for another eight hours… I will survive.
5)Hall Duty: the five minutes between classes that I watch the hall and try to fight for the bathroom… If I don’t get the bathroom, I can hold it for another 1.5 hours. Teachers have kidneys of steel.
6) Grading: I miss grading. But thank God I have been out for a straight month, I will have so much to grade! You get an ‘A,’ you get an ‘A,’ you all get an ‘A’! Except you, I don’t like you so… you get an ‘F’. Hours and hours of grading fun.
7) Taking Attendance: I have really missed keeping tabs on my high school students… UAB, EAB, UTY, ACT, ISS, OSS, WTFC?!
8)Meetings: God, I have missed meetings. Just sitting there staring off at the speaker pretending to be paying attention. I try not to blink. It burns your eyes but it shows how much you are interested in the meeting that doesn’t really affect you.
9) Data: Jesus, no one has kept me abreast (haha, ‘a breast’) on how we are doing in SAT’s, ACT’s, PSAT’s, DCAS, and Smarter Balance!
God! How are we doing Nation wide? District wide? School wide? Individual wide?
Please someone breakdown our results based on gender, nationality, race, religion, sexual orientation, and favorite colors. How have I been in the dark for so long?!
10) Stress: I have missed having heart palpatations, mystery boob sweat, a twitching eye and a feeling of impending doom.
I can’t wait for school tomorrow! In all honesty, I have missed my students… most of them.
Until next time,
I am so glad not to wear my pajamas all day, everyday. Man, that was lame… I’m excited for work clothes and responsibility.