Going back to work is like entering the sixth circle of hell when you are a teacher. Yes, it was lovely having those five days off; turkey, coffee in the mornings, sleeping in, peeing when I wanted and good friends and family. But coming back to school is like choosing to hang out on the wrong side of the tracks when you were a kid.
Here are some things that happened today:
1) When I woke up at 5:15am, I quickly realized that the day before I slept 4.5 hours more than at that waking moment.
2) Coffee isn’t just to wake me up in the mornings. On school days it is literally comfort food to get me through the bad classes. Kind of like eating chocolate during your period. If I didn’t do it, I would murder the whole class.
3) I want it to be quiet in the classroom. Coming back to school after break is the equivalent to the hangover you had after your 21st birthday. You just want silence and a bed… and greasy food to get you through.
4) Pants. I had to put on work pants. I have been living in my pajamas for five days. Work pants just hug my rolls and it’s definitely not in all the right places.
5) I had to pack lunch like I am so kind of nomad. And of course when you are eating at 10:40 am, a sensible diet shake is the last thing you want to ‘eat.’ God, I hate skinny bitches; I am over here drinking my meal while you are complaining your size 2 pants are too large.
6) I had an evaluation today. Seriously? I am vacation hungover. I am barely functioning at adult standards let alone a working, successful adult. Why are you hitting me up on the first day back. Are we animals?
7) During break, I was sadly on Facebook more than the average person. When I went back today, I felt so lost. I didn’t know who was sweating at the gym and what people had for breakfast.
8) I have been getting like ten hours of sleep this break. Today, I literally fell asleep sitting straight up at my desk grading projects. I think I have narcolepsy.
9) The administration decided to have a faculty meeting today. You couldn’t pay me enough to care.
10) Today, I had s kid randomly screaming, ‘I got hit with a skittle- taste the rainbow!’ Why was he saying this? I don’t know because no one had Skittles. What the hell.
Until next time,
Teachers are more then turkey drunk. We are freedom drunk when we are on break.