So it’s the start of reality for me and some of my fellow teachers and I am going to be brutally honest in this blog. I can’t decide if I want to write what I will miss about summer or sarcastically write what I am looking forward to with the start of school… so I am writing both. You’re welcome.
I am going to miss so much about summer…
1) Freedom. Freedom to do what I want when I want. Currently, I get to eat on my schedule. I get to eat when I am hungry… like most humans.
2) Peeing. I get to pee when I want to pee. Currently, I don’t have to pee in a specific five minute window. I can pee whenever I want and I can do it with my children unsupervised and if they kill each, well that’s too bad.
3) Pooping. Again on someone else’s goddamn schedule. Now I have to poop only during 4th period. Do you know what time that is… It’s like 1pm. Jesus, I am going to die. Cause of death: full of shit.
4) Two ply toliet paper. Yeah, our district is too cheap to get the good stuff so I will be sand papering my ass but only during 4th period.
5) Working out. I really enjoyed laying around the house until forty-five minutes before my husband would come home. Then, I would race around the house to clean and make it look like I was busy all day. It really got my heart rate going. So much for working out now that school is starting.
6) Sleeping. I have been sleeping till 930am. Do you know what that time means to me now? An hour before lunch. Yes, ladies and gentlemen, I will be eating meatloaf at 1045 am like a barbarian.
7) Makeup. I haven’t worn makeup since I left school. I’m going to have to put it on to look human. I’m out of practice so excuse me if I look like a scary ass clown today.
8) No Showers. It’s true. I will miss skipping a shower here and there because of pure laziness. Now I have to be a productive member of society and get clean and shit.
9) Messy Hair. I never fix my hair in the summer. You know that annoying saying that girls write on Facebook? ‘Messy hair, don’t care,’ that was me but now I have to care in order to look presentable.
10) Sofia the First. I love this cartoon but it is socially unacceptable to binge watch Disney Junior on Netflix when you are thirty-eight years old.
What am I sarcastically looking forward to… let me tell you.
1) Fucking Data. I love when they put that slide up on the first, opening day. Like I give a shit about last year’s scores.
2) Sexual Harrassement. So for ten years it has been my favorite part of opening day however, I understand that I shouldn’t ask for sexual favors or be asked. But I will be honest, if someone has a cup of coffee on that opening day, I will do what is necessary to survive. I’m bringing knee pads.
3) School Role Call. We all have to do a cheer to signal that we are present. Really? Is this necessary? I could give a shit that you have a cute rhyme or cheer. Just say present so we can all go the fuck home faster.
4) Fucking New Teachers. They come in to the education field all doey eyed and full of promise. It is my mission to break you and have you understand the consequences of your actions in becoming a teacher. Welcome to your sentence… 30 years to life if you want full pension with benefits.
5) New Teaching Strategies. What is this year’s new thing? I am excited to jump through new hoops… I need the exercise.
6) Getting Asked the Question. Don’t fucking ask me how my summer was. You don’t care anyway so why are you asking? And honestly, I tuned out after you said, ‘mine was good.’
7) Lunch. When they tell you lunch is on your own. Really? I just got back from three months off and you want me to remember my lunch? You couldn’t buy me a goddamn piece of pizza?
8) Team Building. I don’t want to build a team doing a lame scavenger hunt or walking on blocks as a group. Buy me a beer. You want people to team build? Get us sloshed.
9) Checklists. I am so looking forward to a checklist to keep me on task. Like I don’t know that I should check out my keys and photocopy a syllabus for my classes?
10) Getting a Speech. If one more person tells me to make it a great year, I will have to use force. Every teacher in this auditorium is counting down the days till summer 2018. The only people trying to make it a great year are the new teachers that don’t know any better with their sharpened pencils and their motivational posters.
So that’s it. Another summer in the books and another year is about to begin. For me, it’s in a new school with new people. For those who have been my colleague through those ten years, I will fucking miss you. And for those new colleagues, I am fucking phenomenal and I look forward to working with you.
Until next time,
Survival is key… and so is alcohol.